Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Self-preservation vs. Selfishness

Self-preservation is not selfishness. I realized the other day that there are certain routines and rituals that I do daily and when these things aren’t done, I’m just not right. I’m simply off kilter when I don’t fulfill what has become obligation(s) to my Spirit and for my Spirit. For example, I must pray and meditate every morning BEFORE I begin my day, or in my mind (and we know that perspective is your reality), my day is not right. I honestly feel like I’ve missed out on a revelation, or a good word from God when I don’t do this.

Here’s the key to today’s “note”… Everyone close to you (i.e. family, close friends, etc.) need to know how much you respect yourself and what makes you tick or what makes your soul complete… then they will as well. Some may say, “I think it’s awfully selfish that you need an hour away from me, (or the babies whatever) for yourself.” I’m here to tell you, IT IS NOT. Whatever it is that you do, whether it’s a long bath, a long walk, or mani-pedi(s), whatever it is, that is your thing and it grounds your focus. It has been proven that the human body/mind needs no less then 15 minutes a day of “shut down”, of calm, or dare I say, PEACE to properly function. It is not selfish to demand what helps you help everyone else – the trick is you have to know what that is, first – then you can express it properly to others.

Life is a journey yes, but it does not have to be a torturous hike through constant rough terrain. Let’s connect to that Living Vine, daily.

Have an AWESOME Wednesday! MUAH, Megan

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for a wonderful reminder to center ourselves! Peace and Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, I am so excited to have found your blog. I was introduced to you when you posted one of your weather reports on ATlanta (which is where I live) back in January. I couldn't stop laughing. But at the same time, I realized that you had this amazing spirit about you - it was nice to watch more of your Youtube videos and read some of your blogs and see that you are a sister in Christ! That is what attracted me to your sweet spirit! Thank you for sharing with us and giving me yet another bright spot in my life. I would love to know where I can find out about your schedule and mosey myself on down to hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call!! I was just telling a friend today that my gym time...body combat, strength training...is my "ME" time. I get 1 1/2 to 2 hours to myself, doing something for myself! If I don't get it I get tired and grumpy! I agree 100%. Thank goodness for gym's with CHILDCARE!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MEGAN!!! Who needs Oprah when we have you!! LOVE IT!!!

    Katrina!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Megan, I love this post

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME! When we don't do things to nurture ourselves, so that our own cup runneth over, how can we pour out that nurturing to others? LOVED this blog, Megan, and I look forward to your inspiring words, and yes, your funny-as-all-get-out videos! We had some "Hoth"lanta goin' on, didn't we? Love ya long & love ya strong!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your recent You Tube after reading the above ( I googled self preservation / selfishness and liked your comment) and I searched till I found some thing recent. My best wishes for you...Al

    ReplyDelete